DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 08:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 01:43 
Project Author

I have to strain the brain back a bit but I would say much better. OPAMPs, like so many other devices, have a certain sound. And though often it may be very pure it is not always that musical. BoZ is very musical.

With BoZ it was probably the first time I could actually imagine the singer in front of me and not just hear him or her. I can't remember ever feeling that before. I may have a spare one soon.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 15:38 

Hi Mark

Will the BoZ be a good match for the ZCA? Maybe this is the way, you already are using it ?

I think it was the combination ziggy, were showing here

Last edited by KrammeAcoustics on 29 Nov 2010, 16:26, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 15:42 
Project Author

I have only used BoZ with my SET amp. Not sure if I will get a chance to try it with the ZCA. Very pleased, as you can tell, with BoZ's performance.

I critical listener is coming over today so I will see what he thinks. Others from the club like it a lot. Build one. I can help with the PS.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 15:55 
Project Author

It was suggested on other forums that you run BoZ on less than the Pass recomended 35V. I have been running mine on 18->19V from batteries. Of course when the batteries are new they are a little over volts but soon settle to 19V. I use four 9V lithiums in parrallel and series

What happens though when the voltage falls to around 18V, which can happen in a week of use, BoZ gets distorted. It is very easy to hear and it happens pretty quickly. What may be better is to say run BoZ on 27V. So three 9V in series with three in parrallel. You know what I mean.

Of course building a mains PS is the best answer. I have done this with two others BoZi working them on 30V with good effect. I may post the mains PS soon. Better still build myself a mains PS.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 22:28 

Mark,

I am going to build the simple BoZ with the 1uF and 10uF caps as suggested. Can you please post the PS schematic in CAD form. Your CAD diagrams are very clear - as used for ZCA/chipamp schematics.

I'm still waiting for some parts - a 10K and 50K ALPS blue velvet ordered from Germany. 11 Euros !
I can still use the BoZ without the volume control on my Mede8er player.

The combo will be BoZ + aussie amps and Boz + Symasym amp.
Will be superb!! hahahaha

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 01:01 
Project Author

It may take a few days to knock-up. I'm still fixing a PS in a tube amp I sold years ago.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 02:26 

Thanks! In the meantime I'll get the parts for the simple BoZ. A short trip to the store should suffice.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 01:34 
Project Author

I promised a schematic of my remote (external) PS for my BoZSE. This is the same PS as I have used with the non-SEs. There will follow a much upgraded PS but this one works, is dead easy to make and keeps the naughty AC power away from the preamp active bits.
Attachment:
BoZPSss.jpg

This PS is remote with about a meter of a medium weight cable between it and the preamp. I also placed a small ferrite choke on the power lead at the preamp end. The PS produces about 30V.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 19:50 

I find the small (10mm x 10 mm) cheap green pots from Jaycar to sound better than ALPS blue. Perfect for this application. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 02:17 
Project Author

mach1 wrote:
I find the small (10mm x 10 mm) cheap green pots from Jaycar to sound better than ALPS blue. Perfect for this application. :thumbsup:

I know the ones you are talking and have used them before. I think they are Ok but I bought a number of Apls so I'm sticking with them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next