DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 10:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 22:00 
Project Author

After building the Nelson Pass B1 buffer preamp I was looking for something just as simple but with voltage some gain. Once more from Nelson Pass comes-up this simple creation - BoZ (Bride of Zen):

JFET BoZ: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-lab ... ost1226532

So I thought I may give it a try. Anyone else built one of these? Any comments?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 11:41 
Editor

HI Mark, I have not tried one but I am looking forward to see how you make out! :)

Here is the link to the original Nelson Pass Bride of Zen PDF article: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/brideofzen.pdf

Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 16:30 
Project Author

Gio:

Zen must have married twice because it is not the one I'm building. Mine is the one on my link.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 19:42 

Yep ...there are both a BoZ and a JFET BoZ, so it's easy to mix up names. :? ( two different constructions ).

Last edited by KrammeAcoustics on 23 Oct 2010, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 19:51 

The Zen list, as we know of: http://www.passdiy.com/projects.htm

But, are names like CoZ Cousin of Zen, FoZ Father of Zen, DoZ Daughter of Zen used ( ? ).

I would prefere names like NoZ Neighbour of Zen or MoZ Mistress of Zen. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 22:45 
Project Author

MoZ is looking good. In Australia a Mozzy is a mosquito. Mistress of Zens is cool then. I may just call it the Mozzy! Great if it really flys (from an audio point of view).

Have all the parts. May start tonight.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010, 16:03 

Cross my fingers :xfingers: , hope your MoZzy Image are capable to sting the following coupled amplifier of yours.

I would also like to build this ( BoZ ) amplifier, because it's capable ( as buffers are ), to wear long signalcables. I could use this instead of, or as suplement to my Bastard 6J5GT Tube Buffer.

I also got all parts except of the JFET 2SK170, instead i've got some PN4302. Anyway i guess they will work fine, if PS stays below 30 VDC. If i've understanded NP right, the IDSS of the FET will be around 5 - 10 mA.

2SK170, Drain current IDSS
VDS  10 V, VGS  0 2.6  20 mA

PN4302, Drain Current IDSS
VDS  -15V, VGS  0 0.5  5.0 mA
( Q = are max of 5 mA enough ...hmmm ). :?
A lower constant current through the FET should be solved, by a higher value of loadresistor ( ex. 20 Ohm ), but then the amplifier maybe won't work as intended.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 06:56 
Project Author

BoZ cct. brd.completed.

See imges below. Once again I used the Russian 0.1uf PIO, and 10uf poly (input cap and output cap respectively) (snubbed with 0.1uf ploy). All on vero-brd. spare central tracks shorted to ground to act as a gatherer. Alps blue velvet 25k pot and slim solid brass knob.

PS: 1R0 to 10,000uf cap, 10R0 to second 10,000uf cap. 5% WBT silver solder used. This will go into a Hammond anodised Al case.

Attachment:
BoZ_IIss.jpg
Attachment:
BoZss.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 12:19 

Hi Mark,

As usual, pls write a review on the sound ;)
I think the jfet preamp designs are awesome.
Natural warmth. I see that you have mixed some carbon and metal film resistors.

Those Topcon caps were the same types I used in my first ever chip amp in Melbourne.
Well they exploded 1 feet from my face. (from inverted polarity) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fun times...hahhaa...

PS: I still have a phobia whenever wiring up a chipamp.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 15:25 
Project Author

Where are the pics Mark ?

-Dan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next