DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Apr 2021, 08:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 11:24 

Hi Crazzy,

Let me see...

Power supply costs :

Power Tranny EI 500VA : $75
Bridge rectifiers 35A, 400V X 2 : $2.50 each
28X 4700uF Nichicon 35V capacitors : 75 cents ea
Breadboard for caps : $2
Wiring : $1 (mostly re-used from old computers)

Amp module Costs :

Amplifier PCB : $28 -(I just realized it looks costly but only one is needed for a stereo amp)
2X Wima 1uF MKT 63V input cap - $2 each
4X Power transistors - $8 each
All other components on PCB (metal film resistors + creamic cap/MKT) - $30 total

I haven't got the case for it but I expect to spend about $15 for a normal metal case to house only the amp module. The PS is remote since the voltage is quite universal to be used in many amps that I intend to build. (pass F5 / New ZCA / Chip amps)

Connectors/Banana plugs/RCA inputs : $20
Misc screws / nuts : $5
Heatsink : $4
Silent fan : $3

Estimated grand total : $250

Depending on what parts you already have at home, the cost will vary significantly. I chose to add in the cost of the tranny as well. Main costs : power tranny, power transistors and the PCB.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 11:42 

I am sad to say that this amp beat up all my other amps at home. ZCA and aussie amps included. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I usually do A/B testing in mono recordings, and on occasion have had to spend hours trying to discern the differences between amps. Such a case is the ZCA vs Aussie amps. The tone is incredibly similar. Both and light, airy and detailed.

The P3A came along, and not more than 5 seconds of A/Bing was done, and a conclusion found...
P3A stands victorious....murdered my other amps !! Aussie amps sounded too bright in comparison and lacked the thunderous bass response of the P3A. The highs and bass on the P3A recreated the illusion of having a live drum kit being played in the living room. There is simply more detail, separation and a blacker than black deep space back ground.

The new alpha male wolf is here, and will stay for a long time. :thumbsup: :up: :lildevil:

5 years have passed, and this is it. This is exactly the sound I was looking for in an amp/preamp.
An amp that has the power to bring tears to the eyes, and provide limitless musical enjoyment without being analytical, nor at the expense of detail retrieval.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 14:56 
Project Author

Sounds so.... amazing! Yet I feel bad for the other amplifiers, $28 for the board really isn't that bad after all, and if I sell some of these other cheap stereos I have laying around here I might be able to save enough money build this amplifier with the PCB and the same outputs you are using and see just how good this thing sounds, I have craved the sound of a P3A for so long! :twisted:

Wow, 28x 4700MFD capacitors? thats kinda over kill.... that's like 65,000MFD per rail! :o

Your search for the perfect SS amplifier has now come true, I am just emagening the thought of an P3A hybrid! :P

Have fun dtsup1, I envy you! :D

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2010, 00:09 

Lol :mrgreen:

Don't envy me. I envy you guys with the valves !! :P

I am sure there are better SS amps but the quest for the perfect one is always ongoing... =S
I have one more SS amp to build before trying valve amps.
Carlos's DX Blame ES.

Day 3 of listening to the P3A :

The Eagles - Hotel California live
Have never heard the bass drum sound so deep with perfect decay.
Lead singer's voice takes centre stage, dominantly while instruments are on the sides.
Classical guitar plays and every note is there to savour !!
In the mix of different sounds, the crowd's cheer is clearly audible. 2 different timbres of whistling.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2010, 12:45 
Editor

Glad to hear the amp has turned out so well. You are a typically audionut - you find a great amp and you still not happy. But that is ok, we are all in that same camp! Enjoy the amp.
Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2010, 12:54 

Yup, it's all Mark's fault. :mrgreen:

He's the one who got me amazed by $100 bookshelves + all valve system.
He has no sand at all in the main setup.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2010, 13:02 
Editor

Depending on the speakers, sand has it's places. ;)
Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 10:47 

It has been almost 3 days and the amp is still in pieces on the floor! :o
Been enjoying the sound so much that laziness sets in! :mrgreen:

Slight note to builder : This amp is ultra revealing in the high frequencies. Superb detail there.
I have been overwhelmed with the combo (P37A preamp + P3A). My tweeters are also very revealing so the overall sound is slightly analytical. I might pad down the tweeter by 2dB to compensate for this, or simply alternate with my valve buffer/preamp for a richer and relaxed tone.
The current tweeters are Scanspeak D2904 7100 soft dome, which have almost the same mounting diameter as the Vifa XT25TG. I might drop those in for a test, but no doubt detail will be compromised for a more relaxed presentation.

Bass and midrange is perfectly integrated. It's just the high freq that need careful matching with system components. There is no such thing as background music. This combo demands your attention at all times. Multi-taskers may find it difficult to focus as the amp keeps forcing you to listen.

Overall superb amp. Next up : Finding a case, switch, LED power lights.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 13:49 

I have tested the amp extensively with the Arjen Helder 12AU7 preamp/valve buffer, but decided to remove it from my system due to noise issues. An irritating buzz comes through the speakers, which is induced by my air conditioner. Without the A/C on, the buzz disappears, but it is too hot to survive in a 30deg climate without an A/C !! P37A preamp is just dead quiet regardless of whether the appliances at home ar turned on or not. Even with batteries the buzz from using Arjens preamp comes through !!!!! :eek:

Arjen preamp sounds good, but there is some fatigue induced. I felt some stress after a mere 10min listening session. After 15mins, my dad mentioned that the sound was "sharp" and said "reduce the volume, boy! " :blush: This is very odd. I have heard valve preamps in Mark's setup and they never sounded harsh as in this case. First time a valve preamp is sounding harsher than a SS ! Maybe it is the P3A revealing every fault of my system? who knows?

All I know is, the P3A + P37A preamp combo brings lifelike music to the ears.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 13:20 
Project Author

I have a side project for you, don't worry it will be fun and easy. :mrgreen: You should try the the MooseFET preamp, it uses only one mosfet transistor, and I have to say, it just sounds so sharp and detailed, sounding very smooth and a nice firm bass.

I built mine as a full preamp but with very minimal components, but it includes the class "A" hybrid mosfet headphone amp and the Oatley K282 RIAA phono stage, with the MooseFET preamp as the final gain stage.

It is a fairly basic project, that could be built under $100 depending on how much stuff you reuse.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1936

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next