DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Dec 2020, 06:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 09:53 
Project Author

I was given the task, by my friend in Singapore, to make-up the cct. brd. only for a Elliott discrete transistor preamp P37A. I was given a strict budget and told to use vera-board (holed copper strips). All I was given was the schematic.

Here is the near complete brd. Only filter and storage caps to add. I have manged to use only a few links and some minor parts reside on the bottom. Silver solder and some silver links also used.

The customer will make to PS and mount the preamp in an enclosure.

http://sound.westhost.com/project37a.htm
Attachment:
DiscreteSSPreSS.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 13:31 

Mark,

It's looking very neat. Can you report in about the sound? (osborne + Kishan amp )

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 18:30 
Project Author

Today I will get a chance to hook it into one of my systems. I can' t wait myself. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 00:14 

Mark - Be prepared for a massive soundstage and super detailed presentation ! :D :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 01:12 
Project Author

dtsup1 wrote:
Mark - Be prepared for a massive soundstage and super detailed presentation ! :D :mrgreen:

I have had a chance to listen to the Elliot for an hour or so. I brought out the Be Bamp (10W SE KT120 tube amp) to act as power amp and hooked it up to the Osborns.

I then connected an upgraded Oppo 980H as the source and four lithium 9V batteries to power the preamp. With two slightly run down 9V batteries in series on each power leg I got +/- 16V. Current drain is extremely low at 3mA (total) which is 1.5mA/battery

Because this is a class A preamp with no ripple rejection capabilities you would be foolish not to run this on batteries. With 1200mAH batteries (lithium) you would get about 800 hours of play. I wouldn't even use re-chargables which have a poor shelf life. - see test setup below.

So how does it sound: there is a wide sound stage with some depth. Imaging is not acid etched but definitely defined. Bass is excellent as well as the highs. Mids are clean and very natural and quite flat. I am more use to some tube warmth here but this SS preamp is a lot dryer and crisper in sound.

This preamp will definitely please the purist SS amp lovers out there in audio land. For those who follow the philosophy-less is more this preamp is that philosophy personified.
Attachment:
TestingElliottSSPreSS.jpg
Attachment:
TestingElliottSSPreSS_2.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 01:19 

What ? Such low current drain ? 3mA ??? :o :hot: :eek:
I'll use your version with batteries then. Not sure if the preamp can take two 9V, ie 18V total.
WIll check up.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 02:53 
Project Author

dtsup1 wrote:
What ? Such low current drain ? 3mA ??? :o :hot: :eek:
I'll use your version with batteries then. Not sure if the preamp can take two 9V, ie 18V total.
WIll check up.

Yes it will take upto +/-20V. Two 9V batteries in series with another two will work. I will try to remember to send you a wiring diagram for the batteries setup. You must get it right or you could smoke a couple of transistors.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 05:12 

Is the wiring done like this ?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 05:34 
Project Author

dtsup1 wrote:
Is the wiring done like this ?

Yes that's fine. The cct. brd. has connections for +18V, -18V and power gnd. Plus input L + R input and input gnds and an outputs L + R and output gnd.

I will mark them on a drawing. This is a snap of the finished brd.
Attachment:
P37aFinishedSS.jpg

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 05:38 

Beautifully done...very very excited !!