DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 20:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 19:16 

Hi guys,
I am looking to do a chip amp a tube pre amp project. I saw the beauty and the beast projects and I would like to do this, but I'm not sure what parts to order exactly. I would like to do point to point. I am planning on putting both items in the same box and thinking about maybe adding some analog vu meters. anybody know the exact parts to order though?
thanks,
matt

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010, 04:18 
Project Author

Both posted projects have schematics. Take your parts list from them.

One HUGE advantage of having the two stage tube preamp and chip power amp in the one box is no inter-connect between pre and power amps. So you save big-time on expensive inter-connects gold plated RCAs etc. Big disadvantage you may get noise from one section in the other and you can't swap-out power and preamps at a whim. You could add a preamp loop in the case to allow direct access to one or the other.

On the upside you get the tube warmth with the chip power. You could call this a hybrid amp: "Hot-chips"!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 19:46 

sorry I forgot about this thread and now I made a new one silly me. :hot:
thanks for the info though I found those schematics.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 01:36 
Project Author

Let's know how you go.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 09:54 

Well I think i would actually like to build the 3886 amp instead of the 3875. I think I would order from chipamps.com. But I have a question about the dual mono. Since I am guessing I need a transformer for this do I have to use two if I get the dual mono? Is the point of dual mono destroyed by having everything in the same box, the preamp being stereo most likely and not separated channels, and using one transformer (ifI could use just one)? If I wanted to separate the stuff in the box to reduce noise whats is the best material? Would this transformer work? http://www.parts-express.com//pe/showde ... N=27027698
peace,
matt

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 11:52 

What ohm rating are the speakers you wish to use? going off the manual you want about 25VDC to drive 4 ohm loads and 35VDC for an 8 ohm load, this of course to drive them safely. If it is an 8 ohm speaker you may want to use a 22VAC transformer, when rectified this should give about 30VDC, If it is a 4 ohm speakers then you will want an 18VAC transformer.

If you are wanting to shield compartments in your box then you just need some thick shielding/foil tape, kitchen foil doesnt really work because of its thinness, anyway you could then connect this to ground (forum veterans correct me if i'm wrong) and that should give a reasonable level of protection throughout the box.

Also if noise is a concern read up on http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/2010/07/design-and-construction-of-vacuum-tube.html and look at the points such as keeping AC wiring away from DC, a well designed amp without shielding between compartments should sound better than one that is thrown together, but has a piece of foil separating to parts of it.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 13:40 

I would be using 8 ohm speakers. Thanks for the link

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 14:28 

Oh and P.S. that transformer you had listed at parts express should work :D you'll get around 35VDC

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 17:28 
Project Author

Agreed.

The transformer is OK ;-).

Welcome and have fun!

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 19:58 

By the way, when you have completed your project, it would be interesting to see some pictures both during and after the build?

Of course only if you want to :D

Lewis