DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 21:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 12:31 

dtsup1 wrote:
You pretty much have everything already to build the gainclone... :thumbsup:

ALMOST :P
need to order toroid probably this week..and the way we go assembling 8-)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 14:38 

today started a little bit assembly on PSU part..figured it out one big problem..
WRONG caps :confused:
they forget to give me 0.1uF..and i took 2 pieces 10.000uF too much :eek:
tomorrow i take it back,and get the right one :up:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 12:48 

UPDATE:
PSU part is finished..
i made some measurements to see if everything is working..
the output voltage is jumping about +/-0,05V..i think that's reasonable tolerance..
what do you think?

now just wait probably for a MONTH ,for toroid to get produced..because almost all workers are on holidays :blush:

regards!

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 16:38 
Project Author

hybrid: Where do you get your power trannies?

And what part of Europe are you from? I'm from Southern Victoria Australia. I've holidayed in France and Italy. Love both.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 07:47 

mwhouston wrote:
hybrid: Where do you get your power trannies?

And what part of Europe are you from? I'm from Southern Victoria Australia. I've holidayed in France and Italy. Love both.

i get them from a small company near me..hope they start working again as soon as possible ;)
i'm from Central Europe - Slovenia!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 05:19 

GC build is continues,,
i have just few more questions..some are realy "noob-ish" :worried:
but i want to get it right,and not to destroy anything or wire at wrong way :angel:

1)What does that S1 really means? some sort of switch or what?!

2)RIin will be replaced with volume meter..one for both channels..

3)OUTPUT will be speaker terminals..how do i connect + and -? what about Rl on the output?

1)is this wiring correct?

2)SOURCE A and SOURCE B will be from the same two RCA jacks..

hope to help me..so that i can put together at least one channel today :mrgreen:

EDIT: some people use 10.000 or even 20.000uF caps..are mine 100uF caps totally wrong?a have some spare 20.000uF caps..should i try with some experimenting?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 13:32 
Editor

S1 is a switch. In this case it is optional and can be used to mute the amp.

The photo below shows the common pinout:
Attachment:
potentiometer-pinout-wiring-hookup.jpg

The 100uF + 0.1uF capacitors are physically located near the chip. In the power supply there is 10,000 - 20,000 uF of filtering. I followed the same LM3886 schematic for my [url=DIY LM3886 Chip Amplifier (Gainclone) Kit]DIY LM3886 Chip Amplifier (Gainclone) Kit build[/url] and you can see the large filter capacitors in the power supply portion.
Cheers

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 14:14 

so i did the right way and get rid of that S1..

so i see that i connected INPUT and GND wrong :blush:

today was "test drive"..no success......

i assume my RCA jacks weren't connected right at way and so were the speakers..and of course volume potentiometer!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 16:33 
Project Author

Hey hybrid,

you don't really need S1 (mute switch) anyway. Just connect the Rm from Pin8 to V- ( V minus).
You also can ommit Cm if you do so. The Rm is a nasty thing. You have to choose the right value here.
The value of Rm also depends on the supply voltage.
Mine is running at 2 x 42VDC and i had to use 4K7 for Rm to get the full volume (mute = 0).

Yep, check the RCA, potentiometer and speaker connections again.
The chips hate it, if they don't "see" the RCA and speaker grounds (Input or output ground).

Have fun :-).

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 03:28 

Hi Hybrid,

My net was down for a couple of days.
Good to see you have started building. Make sure you connect the heatsink to the chip even though you are testing for a short while.
I nearly burnt my chip up without that heatsink.

Some of my diy audio projects:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next