DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: velleman preamp
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 03:46 

This is what i´w build so far. I used a neutrik transformer in in the input(i dont know Why i just felt like it) tested it Whit a sm57 mic and it was fine. it even had some sound to it, nothing like my dbx or focusrite pre amps, but definetly better than my behringer and yamaha mc802 pre´s.

I would be very thankful if you guys could point out some ways to make it better..? :dice:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: velleman preamp
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 05:59 

Hi,

1) Use a split supply.
2) #1 will enable you to lose all the electrolytics.
3) Use it in non-inverting mode.

:2c:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 07:28 

Thanks For The Help.
I have a "symmetrical power supply thing" is it the same thing??
does it mean that i can take all the capacitors off..?

-a true noob :blush:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 17:52 

There ya go! :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 02:15 

Thanks Geek. What kind of benefits does a non-invertin amplifier have, i heve searched the net but foun no clear answer.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 03:19 

Hi,

By using the non-inverting input, you increase the input impedance of an amplifier several fold. Most modern opamps are capable of 500Meg or higher input impedance, so for all practical purposes, your input impedance in my posted schematic is 100K. With the inverting amp you posted, the input impedance is ~2.2K. Though for a mic pre, it's kind of moot, but that brings us to noise performance.

The gain is set by the feedback resistor (220K) divided by the inverting input to ground (2.2K). So this circuit has a gain of 220K/2.2K=100.

To get say a gain of 100 with a 100K input impedance with an inverting amplifier, the resistors would have to be 10Meg on the feedback and 100K on the input. As resistances go up, so does noise. Also stray capacitance becomes a problem, making layout more critical and chances of instability higher. So keeping the feedback loop resistors a reasonable value (as either schematic shows), both noise and instability problems are kept at bay.

With a non-inverting amplifier, phase issues, especially with pro gear, are reduced.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 11:37 

I think i´m gettin even more confused.. Why 100k I have always been told that 1-2k is a good input impedance for a mic pre, because most mics are 100-200ohms.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 14:16 

Does the pot i have conrol the gain or only the output..? if i add another pot here, would it controll the gain??

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 20:40 

onionseller wrote:
I think i´m gettin even more confused.. Why 100k I have always been told that 1-2k is a good input impedance for a mic pre, because most mics are 100-200ohms.

I did 100K as something more generic. Use the loading recommended by the datasheet of your microphone cartridge.

Quote:
Does the pot i have conrol the gain or only the output..? if i add another pot here, would it controll the gain??

The pot only controls the output.

Where you have your pot will control the gain some by altering the NFB. Not the best way to control gain on a critical gain stage, but it works. Then I would eliminate the output pot completely (or ground one end and keep it out of the NFB loop as your drawing has it) and make your control 100K.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 10:57 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
By using the non-inverting input, you increase the input impedance of an amplifier several fold. Most modern opamps are capable of 500Meg or higher input impedance, so for all practical purposes, your input impedance in my posted schematic is 100K. With the inverting amp you posted, the input impedance is ~2.2K. Though for a mic pre, it's kind of moot, but that brings us to noise performance.

The gain is set by the feedback resistor (220K) divided by the inverting input to ground (2.2K). So this circuit has a gain of 220K/2.2K=100.

To get say a gain of 100 with a 100K input impedance with an inverting amplifier, the resistors would have to be 10Meg on the feedback and 100K on the input. As resistances go up, so does noise. Also stray capacitance becomes a problem, making layout more critical and chances of instability higher. So keeping the feedback loop resistors a reasonable value (as either schematic shows), both noise and instability problems are kept at bay.

With a non-inverting amplifier, phase issues, especially with pro gear, are reduced.

That is something new that I learned today, so it is ok if you don't understand the changes right away. :D