DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hafler Amp Repair
PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 22:28 

Hey guys. So I have a Hafler Trans-Nova P3000 that was going to be used to repair another P3000, but was unneeded as the problem turned out to be a cold solder joint on one of the outputs.

The 'parts' unit is damaged. Some would consider it scrap, but taking a scan over the PCBs it looks intact. Only one channel has made it through the trials and tribulations of years of abuse, and UPS-handling. The other channel had its final power rectifier bridge sheared off from the transformer which was floating freely in the case, not sure why it wasn't mounted.

I haven't pulled the finals yet to test if they even switch on, but I am going to redo some parts mainly any electrolytics, final bypass caps, volume pot., regulators, and transformer (seeing as the stock one is damaged). Most of those parts I can compile from the basic selection of vendors, but the transformer is the only part that I'm not to sure about. Would it be worth it to attempt rewinding the damaged side, or could I replace it with 2 toroidal transformers (one for the +/-17V Drive and +/-67V Finals)?

Unit as it came:

Damaged Transformer (Probably from slamming into the rectifier):

Post subject: Re: Hafler Amp Repair
PostPosted: 19 May 2010, 12:28 
Editor

The worth it is really up to you and dependent on repair or replacement costs.

The limited space could cause a problem if you go to two toroidal transformers. You may be able to find a single torroid as 100V and 24V are not uncommon values. Repairing the transformer has the advantage in that you know it will fit nicely.
Cheers

PostPosted: 19 May 2010, 13:56 

We got the unit for free, I'm bored, and I have almost all the parts on hand. What would the best way of going and repairing the transformer? The E-I laminations look fine, just need to be unglued. I just need to get the secondary voltages and figure out how to go about rewinding.

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 23:05 

So after I looked at the transformer again, it is actually a C-Core. Not sure how I managed to call it a E-I with the thing sitting in front of me.

After looking at the manual and schematic, I came down to conclude that the transformer has 2x 30VCT @ 2A, 2x 50VCT @ 4A for secondaries. Now I have to find a transformer that at least can give me two one one voltage. Off to the electronics vendors!

I don't mind spinning a board, so I may do 2 PCB mount toroids for the 15-0-15 (PN# L01-6383) or free mount with 2 Antek (AN-0515). Still working on the 50VCT transformers.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 19:01 
Editor

Those values should be easy to find. Let us know how you make out.
Cheers

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 20:08 

I got the transformer apart. I got it soaking for a bit so I can unwind the one good bobbin and get the length, turn count, wire gauge, and layout.

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 14:53 

Almost through the whole transformer. :mrgreen: I've got wire gauge for all three windings and the total turn count for the low-voltage winding. I already measured the resistance of the windings before I took it apart and did some really rough math with what I figured the voltage should approximately be, and was with in about 4 feet. At least my guesses are close enough to start looking for new magnet wire.

Now to somehow build a winder. To google!