DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 14:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2008, 19:35 
Project Author

Guys,
A new project is up on the Nelson Pass "PassDIY" website. Its called the Circlotron.
I have seen mention of Circlotrons before but as the article points out its simply a schema for amps that makes many different amps Circlotrons. Some are SS some are tubes.
Now we have 3 files. One has the description and some construction guidelines. The second has a completion of construction guide as well as BOM with Part Numbers :) and the second is the CAD files. This is on the Pass site but the author is Michael Rothacher.
If its good enough for Nelson its Nirvana for me. Check it out. Pretty wild looking amp.

File 1: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/Build%20The% ... lotron.pdf
File 2: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/Amazing%20FE ... uction.pdf
File 3: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/CAD%20Files.zip
The PASSDIY website is a place where you can find numerous wonderful articles not only outlining different amps but explaining exactly and in a way an amateur can understand how the amp and the components actually work.
Ri

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2008, 21:18 

Broskie has done a bunch of circlotron articles too:

http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2003/Ca ... otrons.pdf

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 04:41 

Hmm, that looks interesting. I may well have to look into building a couple and see what I think. My Ficanee will go nuts though I expect. I may have to start flogging some of my builds on ebay to keep her sweet. :D

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 07:09 
Project Author

Ooooh, John, I dont know if its really a great idea to bandy about your hobby before you get a contract from your fiancee. Maybe you should take up making jewelry for a short time :)
Ri

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 07:20 

Perhaps I should, watch this space for diyjeweleryprojects.com ;)

Kind regards, John.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 09:06 

It helps if you screw up occasionally on one of your cuts.

You can then do something like this and get brownie points:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 10:19 

Hmm, I like that idea. I'll do the odd intentional screw-up too then. She does love her jewelery....

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 12:04 
Editor

Thanks for the excellent links guys, this looks like an interesting topology.

I like the idea of the jewelery projects.

Nice work Bill, the problem is that filling the box is the expensive part!

Cheers

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 14:22 

It is the expensive part. My better half has a lot of jewelery, but not a lot of really nice jewelery. She has a couple of nice pieces thanks to yours truely, but in time I'm sure her jewelery box will fill up.

One thing is a bonus though, building HiFi is a lot cheaper than buying one, well, perhaps not cheaper but more cost effective, and both me and my fiancee enjoy the end result. Anyone on here ever thought about doing a DIY CD player???

Kind regards, John.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 14:59 
Project Author

Search DIYAudio for "Shigaclone" and also you can make one out of the old Playstation One as long as it is model number SCPH1001. I have the playstation and while I have not made any changes to it it does not need them. It sounds great. Clear and airy if airy is a word.
Ri