DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 00:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 11:21 

hello everybody. I want to build an amp, and have a MADAMP G2 in mind for when i'm grown up, but whilst perusing the web for info I came onto Maplins site ( a bit like Radio Shack I think ) and saw some small s/s kits for the budding solderer to burn their fingers on and wondered if any of you guys and gals have ever used them when you were starting out. They're only a few quid and if they're ok I may as well get some practice in. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 15:00 

Hi DADDEO, Which kits are you thinking of?

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 04:10 

Hello bone, the two kits I looked at were the K8066 and the K4001. They're shipped in from a company called Velleman and you can get the schematics from there as well. They look simple enough. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 11:40 

By the way, has anyone built or heard any of the effects kits supplied by MUSIKDING. Again, they're cheap, but are they nasty.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 16:36 
Project Author

Hi Daddeo,

welcome and have fun ;-).

The Velleman Kits are OK to get a start and some experience. I would go for the K4001. It uses the TDA2003 IC and is easy to do.
You'll have to build a proper power supply for this Kits because they come without one... I don't know how many quid
you want to spent on this project. The supply could be more than double the costs from the amp boards..

I can imagine that your fun doesn't last that long, when you've built up the kit.
The cheapo kits have only 2-3 Watt per channel. Not a real fun... This are low power amps with very limited use.

(idea on):
If you really want to learn and start with electronics i'ld think about building a "real" amp on prototype boards.
That's possible with the same ammount of components, but with way more room to get experience. The costs
should be the same at all. Maybe the transformer is some quid more... You'll need a chassis and some connectors too.
OK - also some coolers for the amplifier ICs..
(idea off).

Bets way to get soldering practice is to spend a little time with your soldering iron and "pad-per-hole" protoboards.
Or build some nice figures from copper wire ;-).

Hope i could help a bit here..

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 12:14 

Thanks for the advice tom. I looked at the velleman kits purely for practicing on and maybe use with an mp3 player and passive speakers and for the fact that you seem to be able to use a 9v battery for power. The MADAMP is what i'm working towards.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 12:04 
Project Author

Hey again,

i gathered some informations from several german websites (Guitarists / Musician boards) about the Madamp G2:

The G2 seems to be very popular and is described as a good amp for practicing at home.
The volume is loud enough, even for bigger rooms, but not quite low for PA (2Watts).

On the forums you can read much about the sonics. Many users state that the amp plays
from nice "clean" (Fender styled) to "crunch" (Marshall styled). All in all the amp is very "british".
There's also a "boost" integrated...

Have fun ;-).

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 13:16 

Hi Tom. That's the reason I want to buy it, although I've only heard the clips on MADAMP's site. I think it might be moddable to a certain extent, but that's way into the future, I've got to buy and build the thing first. Many thanks for your input though, It's been well appreciated. :up: :up: :up: