DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Dec 2020, 21:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 170  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 17:30 

roggom wrote:
Ferdinand, Great job, I see you have everything packed in there very nicely, also great work on the etching and the ground plane.

BB, Wonderful, quality time with your son and tube amp basics, this was the inspiration for the amp and the posting.

Nothing like the glow of a triode to exemplify a successful build.

Rogers,
Thank you very much. My Son and I are enjoying this project.
I can not think of a better project to introduce him to DIY electronics.
We did cheat a bit. The majority of the glow is from an orange LED we installed in the tube socket. Kids,,,

We copied your schematic in Cadsoft Eagle.
We will post here after we clean it up a bit.

Thanks again.
Bill and Kurt

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 13:36 

hey guys I'm slightly confused about something.
pin 3 & 8 of the valve are both cathode triode right?
So why on the left channel does the + of the 100uf cap connect to cathode triode (8), yet on the right channel its the - side of the 100uf cap connected to the cathode triode (3)
if anyone can enlighten me i would be very grateful.
Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 19:11 

Autophase,
If you are referring to the layout drawing:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/12AU7 ... -Image.png

You are correct. As drawn the polarity of the 100uF cap on the right channel is reversed.
The schematic is correct. ;)

BB

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2011, 07:40 

thanks for putting my mind at ease.
Erm so what it the reason for this?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2011, 09:45 

My guess.
A simple mistake.

-OR-

(Queue the Black Helecoptors)
An evil plot to see if people are paying attention and if not cause them to blow up caps?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 01:20 
Project Author

Yes, go by the schematic, anyone who knows Eagle can attest to right clicking the mouse a little too much.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 09:04 

hi guys, erm i have built mine and tried to trouble shoot it twice but i can work out whats wrong.
I am getting a very quiet output that seem to be filtered really high.
Any ideas where to start looking?

Actually it looks like ive got 330pf caps on the input..... could that cause the filtering? I did buy 2.2uf but i guess they gave me the wrong ones. should have checked first really.

Thanks

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 19:40 

first of all, hello everyone...
okay so i've decided i'm going to build it...
this is my 1st ever tube project, 3rd diy, i have basic knowledge of electronics but i'm only 18yo :P and i just fell in love with all the diy stuff:)
i've already got the raytheon 5814A black plate to power my sennheiser hd25 :) input caps will be panasonic fc, output ninichon and elna...
but i have couple of questions :)
Is the pot 50k? i've seen somewhere 10k... nvm, so can i just edit the pcb to include stereo alps pot instead of needing to wire it?
i'd simply short grounds and connect it to the gnd, as someone mentioned input 1 and 2 connect to l/r in parallel and so with wiper 1/2 to output l/r?
also i have a 12V battery (it was used in an electro powered bike, about 30Ah or so...) it should be superior to a SMPS with a RC filter? if its worth it i'll even attempt a diy charger :/ but, i think its simpler to use psu if canon is that good i'd get it off ebay, otherwise i've found an LG switching mode psu 12VDC 2A that should be enough or even better than canon... :)
btw is canon psu a smps? how about smps +rc filter(but what about voltage drop?) also someone mentioned canon outputs 13+VDC... so what combination? :)
thanks a lot!!! :)
- a really really enthusiastic beginner diy-er :)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 19:52 

uups sorry for double post, but will irf540 IR do? or irf 640/630?
i've checked data sheet for irf540, it just seems that current is a bit higher...
otherwise recommend a sonically superiour transistor :)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 20:47 

I had some left over parts and made another one this weekend. I will leave this one next to my Pc. This amp sound really nice, and looks really cool too.
Thank you Rogers and everyone that has help us with their knowledge.
Attachment:
IMG_7981.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_7971.jpg

Thank you,
Laz.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 170  Next