DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2010, 19:31 

i ordered a stereo kit from here http://www.chipamp.com/orders.shtml

assembling that seems pretty straight forward, its just some of the other things that i need a little help with.

my speakers are 30 watt norm. / 60 watt max @ 8ohms

so if i am correct i should be using something equivalent to this one?
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 7044796566

and i assume a 2amp fuse would suffice for that too?

and for volume control something along the lines of this should word, right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1917wt_939

and my last thing i was wondering about was input switching.
even two inputs would be fine, but three is ideal.
is there anything special i need to know about doing that, or would a standard multi-pole switch work without any/alot of quality sacrifice?

and for a case i was going to use some thick plexiglass so it would we see-through. i assume that wouldn't be a problem as long as i tie all the grounds together?

thanks
~Juv

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 12:27 
Editor

Hi Juv,
Those kits are good, I have built a few of them now. Take a look at the documentation, it is pretty thorough. The voltage from that transformer is too low. What is the impedance of the speakers you will be driving. That will dictate the voltage of the transformer you will want to use. 250VA is good for a stereo amp.

A 25k pot will work well.

Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 18:58 

you mean the output voltage? then i assume this will be sufficient.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 37-1354-ND

the speakers are 8ohms each 30 watts normal, 60 max.

and now that i'm posting again, i had a few questions.

is there an easy way to have hi/mid/low control?

also, i was thinking about going with a small heatsink and fan, because i am looking to make this as small as possible. in order to do this (among other things that will require power) i was thinking about ripping apart a wall adapter for decent 12v without messing with the amp's power supply. then just running that in parallel with the toroidal, this isn't a problem is it?

and with the lm3886 chips does the tab have to be isolated from ground like with the t-somthin chips?

thanks
~Juvenal

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 20:47 

This transformer should work fine.
http://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=53

Definitely recommend single driver speakers, sound great.

LM3886 is a great amp. Just follow the online manual.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 15:44 

got my kit assembled and the transformer came today. sounds GREAT!!

thanks so much guys.

now i just need to get a chassis to put it in.

and i was still thinking about volume control, input switching, and hi-mid-low control.

for input switching im assuming a double pole switch will be fine? because i can leave the ground connected. right? or will this give a chance for buzz/hum and such.

i have no clue for hi-mid-low control, any ideas?

and i already have my volume pot/knob picked out.

thanks for all the help!

~Juvenal1228

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 18:28 
Editor

A double pole switch will work, but use a start grounding layout. For hi-mid-low control you can use a passive circuit. You can see this thread: Simple Passive Tone-Control