DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 May 2020, 17:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey guys
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 04:56 

I'm more a headphone kind of guy, though lately I've been after better stereo speakers for my room.

The other day neighbours down the street were throwing out their old (~1975) system. I managed to get 2 sets of stereo speakers.

One was the Sony SS-1250 http://audio-heritage.jp/SONY-ESPRIT/speaker/ss-1250.html

The other was a Pioneer CS-311. Luckily they seem to be working fine though they REALLY need amps. I tried running them off an AV Receiver which is supposed to handle 40Watts per channel but they sound a little weak but that's probably due to an impedance mis-match.

Anyway, I'm after making 2 sets of amps for each pair of speakers, (is it even worth it for these ~1975 speakers?). So I just generally want input from you guys, to see whether or not these speakers are worth making an amplifier for. They sound really bad at low volumes, but at high volumes they are much better than my current set of shitty Sony SRS-A202's.

So if there is anything anyone can offer, I'll gladly appreciate it!

I have some free time this week so I was googling around for a DIY forum, i'll have to check out head-fi later tonight.

Cheers

Sam

Post subject: Re: Hey guys
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 09:24 
Editor

Hi Sam, well you got them and they were free, so have some fun with them. For an amp, a diy chipamp (~50W) are relatively inexpensive and should work well.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Hey guys
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 18:58 

My experience with 70s gear is that high-feedback amps of the same type as were common during the era work better, I have a pair of Choral SA-7 driven by a Technics SU-8600 and they match up great, much better than a newer Arcam alpha 9 I used to drive them with.