DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 16:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2008, 21:07 
Project Author

Hi people,

If you want some info on the HX100 build let me know

the main supply is approx 1300VA...

Actually I am want to do a rebuild of the internal wiring on this one. (i have some better capacitors which will be neater)

-Dan

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2008, 15:18 

I'd love to be able to build that thing, but unfortunately I don't think I can afford it :( If you bought the kits from that site the amp circuits alone would have cost you $800 plus however much that toroid was :shock:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2008, 16:30 

Damn i thought I had already responded to RiGuy's epic post...

It cleared a lot of things up for me and I'm excited to go through with his project. Naturally, I have a few more questions.

First of all, I priced the parts from the chipamp.com LM3886 stereo model, and I found everything I need for about $35 plus $18 for the PCB. I'd love to support these guys but I'd have to buy 3 of them for 6 channels and saving $50 bucks is important to me (I'm a student and i work for peanuts) The set includes 2 PCBs for both channels of stereo, and 1 PCB for the power supply. I assume I can attach them all to the same toroid. Should give me 300W total output?

3 of these plus a 400VA toroid comes to $204 (I'm thinking of using a 28V toroid)

The other option(s) i'm considering are from 41hz.com. Either 2 AMP9 units or an AMP9 and AMP10-BASIC.

It seems to me that the AMP9 delivers the same power as the AMP10-Basic. I obviously don't really know the subtle differences but would there be any benefit to using AMP9 and AMP 10 to get 6 channels over two AMP9 units for 8 channels?

If there's no difference I think I might just use 2 AMP9s (they're exactly the same price) for the ability to do 7.1 or alternatively to bridge the sub on 2 or 3 channels of the second unit. This sounds like a good idea? no?

Those two kits (they don't list the parts so I don't think I have the option of outsourcing) are $73.53 each and I'd probably want a 500 VA toroid. That price would be $202 and I'd get 8 channels.

thoguhts?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2008, 17:47 
Editor

Both options are good.

In general, Class T kits are more efficient, so you will be able to use smaller heatsinks and transformers (for equal power). The Chipamps are Class A/B so they will need more heatsinking and a larger transformer.

The Amp9 basic comes with ready made inductors, for the Amp 9, you have to wind your own.

The Amp 9 does not give a recommended transformer size. For a chip amp, most people us 80 to 120VA per channel. A 160VA worked fine for my 2 channel LM3886 gainclone (see link in signature). The chipamps have less parts.

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2008, 18:56 
Project Author

Epic posts take time to digest :)

Here are some AMP9 posts elsewhere:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
Read this one and you will probably just go buy the AMP9
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=

Hope you have fun and keep us posted.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2008, 19:58 

Are inductors that hard to wind?

What I'm most concerned about (the last thing which gives me pause) are the surface-mount components. This means there is no hole to put the wire through, right? I imagine those would be more difficult to solder. Should I be worried? I think I'm gonna order the 2 amp9's tonight

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2008, 20:55 
Project Author

Dont sweat the small stuff :) The surface mount stuff is supposed to be big enough to pickup with your fingers so you will be fine. Its good to add a dot of glue to the place you want to glue it and then put the part in the right place. When dry then solder it.
You can wind an inductor. And if mess it up you can try again. You cant break it. They will tell you "wind it 45 turns" or some other number and if you do that it will be good enough. From what I have seen inductors dont need to be exact. Often close enough is fine.
SOOO :) Super glad you are going to build it and I hope you will share your build with us. Get your digital camera out and snap pics of the boards and components before you start then a few while you work on it and finally the end result. You could even maybe write up your own project. We dont have any AMP9s or even any others from 41Hz in the project gallery I dont think.
When this thing is finished you are going to be pretty pleased from what I have read about it. OH, if they have instructions you might want to scan those so that if you have questions you can email us the instructions with schematics or whatever they include.
Ri

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2008, 21:46 
Editor

Hi Guys,

I built a AMP6 (T-Amp) Kit. There were some SMT diodes on the bottom of the board. They were large enough to handle by hand and were not an issue at all. I did manage to break the magnet wire on one inductor and 41hz promptly sent me some wire. Winding your own inductors is not an issue, I just wanted to point it out.

The 41Hz kits are nice, but read the documentation fully, my AMP6 board had a printing error on it that was outlined in the manual.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 13:17 

Just to be sure. For the 2 amp9s, I can use a SINGLE 600VA 28V toroid? Say... this one?

http://www.antekinc.com/AN-6228.pdf

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 13:24 
Project Author

Nope.
Your AC power out of the toroid is going to get rectified into DC and doing this multiplies the voltage by the square root of two. So its going to be VAC*1.414=VDC
You can not put more than 27VDC into the AMP9 and my suggestion would to go with 24V which means using a 18V toroid.
So with Antek you might consider the AN-6218 which is 600VA or the AN-4218 at 400VA.
Yes you can use one toroid for both and lots of people will tell you its better to use one per board or if possible one per channel. I dont have enough experience to have a preference. I actually have a little amp I am working on that has 4 for 2 channels so go figure.
Ri

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next