DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Dec 2020, 10:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which amp to build?
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 19:22 

I have a boom box-sized enclosure with two 50watt speakers in it. I want to build a portable amp for use at the workbench or around the house, something that I can plug an iPod into. Could someone recommend an amp which would work for this application?
cheers,
-p

Post subject: Re: Which amp to build?
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 08:31 

You could build one of mine.
I just put an order in for circuit boards (2nd version) designed around LM4766 stereo amp chip. It tests well up to 40w/ch
The board also has preamp circuits to properly boost/ impedance match headphone output.
see attached..

Board with chip should run around 25usd.
I am entertaining a complete kit with mil spec resistors and good caps.

Duke

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 12:30 

to add is the block diagram for the boards in question
I have checked into bulk pricing on components for a kit. That would run around 75 usd (if surplus pricing holds). Many of you may have all the parts, just need a better way than point to point.
There is a further discussion on this in diyaudio... group buys: chipamp with potential

Good luck with your choices.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 23:40 

thanks D,
I've reset my board preferences to alert me to replies, so I missed your post. Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing the component list for this amp, and possibly buying a pcb or two. I live in Taiwan and have become well-acquainted with the electronics/computer/ hifi district here, so almost any DIY audio part or electronic part is pretty available and cheap.
-p

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 10:36 

A components list is in the making. I'll finalize after I build one with my new boards. To arrive next week.

I intend to set up a web address with the info posted, as a forum is less than ideal for the BOM, instructions and a pay pal site.

Duke

What do you intend to play through this integrated amp??

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 18:51 

I want something to plug an ipod into. It needs to be simple and portable, with the option of battery or wall-wart power.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 07:33 

Battery operation is not likely, the amp has 32volts+/- from a 42volt center tapped transformer. Perhaps a switching power supply needs to be made for 12dc to this voltage (standard in car amplifers).

A wall wort(s) is possible. needs to be 50-100va (or 2 each 40va), 22-24v
The toroid transformer I'm looking to kit is quite small, 3.5in diameter and 1.5in tall.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 07:16 

The boards are here!
so you have a preamp and amplifier on a 5.5in square board. I add the board with chip for 25 usd.
refer to my new website for details and new developments, dukescreations.com

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 09:42 
Project Author

You dont need much wattage for what you want to do.
Try this.
A Tripath chip will be very cheap and very good. It will use relatively low voltage and easily fit in your boombox with room for batteries.
Uriah