DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Mar 2021, 03:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 16:07 
Project Author

I have built simple turn on delay circuits before, Here is one designed by Nelson Pass. The only issue is in solid state amps there is a rush of current when the amp is turned off. In tube amps there is not so much of an issue as the tubes come up slowly and drain the caps at shutdown. I guess this circuit would work for the 6as7G amp, just vary the values.

AMB has a circuit that delays turn on and shut down http://www.amb.org/audio/epsilon12/ , might be an interesting build.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 16:39 

Hi there

Happy me, i made a ripple and humfree supply from a 12 V 900 mA wallwart ( found it in the junkbox ) and i'm also free of disconnecting the earphones ( no pop ), because the supply starts and stops quietly, try it for yourself :mrgreen:

I just added to resistors 10 and 22 ohm and two 4700 uF 35 v electrolyts.

Why i'm making a supply like this ( instead of battery ) is because my friend also are interrested in the hybrid like i was, so i'm building one for him to. :up:

First i tried it with a 7812 regulator, but as i had said before, it doesn't sound right, it's like the topfrequences dissapears. :down:

I want a delaycircuit with relay for my batteryversion, that's for sure.

Below is a diagram with a pop and humfree walwartsupply.

Regards from John Kramme :headphones:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 20:52 

KrammeAcoustics wrote:
Happy me, i made a ripple and humfree supply from a 12 V 900 mA wallwart ( found it in the junkbox ) and i'm also free of disconnecting the earphones ( no pop ), because the supply starts and stops quietly, try it for yourself :mrgreen:

EDIT: Transformer = 16 V ...not 12 V !

LEI ( Leader Electronics Inc. ) Model no. 481609OOSE
230 V ~ 50 hz 150 mA 16 V -- 900 mA

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 16:26 
Project Author

KrammeAcoustics wrote:
Hi there

First i tried it with a 7812 regulator, but as i had said before, it doesn't sound right, it's like the topfrequences dissapears. :down:

hmmmm, sounds like a good experiment for me to try, I was thinking of using an LM317, and I could then vary the voltage and they provide more current and better regulation than the 7812.

But if what you say is even slightly true through my own listenings I will resort to your design since it uses fewer components.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 17:57 

CrazzyAbtTubes wrote:

hmmmm, sounds like a good experiment for me to try, I was thinking of using an LM317, and I could then vary the voltage and they provide more current and better regulation than the 7812.

But if what you say is even slightly true through my own listenings I will resort to your design since it uses fewer components.

Hi CrazzyAbtTubes

I found another walwart with the specs. 12 V 1 A, it measured 16 V output without load, but there was hum ...I solved it by adding one more 4700 uF electrolyt ( three instead of two ), mounted before the first resistor where 20 V was measured, after that it also was humfree. Try and try and it will work.

Note: It's important to use a wallwart with a good reserve, eks.1 A or more is good, where 500 mA offcourse in my first attempts, not was enough.

It's interresting what you'll experience. 8-)

Regards form John Kramme

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 18:41 
Project Author

I shall try it just by using parts on hand first, since wall warts can be inconvenient (large bulky, usually 2-3 outlets consumed, hence the name wall wart :)

Hmmm, I also wonder If this applies to using a regulated PS in a tube amp using mosfets or a CCS in the bias?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 07:18 

so, I'm probably stupid, that's not really a newsflash, but i gotta ask... what is C1 supposed to be in your schematic? "1m" ? is that 1000uf? 1000000uf? in your pics it looks like a chubby electrolytic.. so i'm guessing its 1000uf.. but every time i think i know what you people are talking about, I'm wrong.. (sorry, a little bitter today :) )

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 10:57 

oak1780 wrote:
so, I'm probably stupid, that's not really a newsflash, but i gotta ask... what is C1 supposed to be in your schematic? "1m" ? is that 1000uf? 1000000uf? in your pics it looks like a chubby electrolytic.. so i'm guessing its 1000uf.. but every time i think i know what you people are talking about, I'm wrong.. (sorry, a little bitter today :) )

Hi oak

I don't think you are stupid at all .... :up:

An eksample, the way TINA TI describes it:
1u = 1uF
1m = 1000uF
1M = 1000000 uF ( Mega/Million ....1000000u is also the same as 1F = Farad )

C1 = 1u = 1 Micro Farad, C1 is a bipolar condensator -| |- ( non polar ), f.eks. an electrolytic is polar - -| |- +.

The program TINA TI add's "u" automaticaly when plotting 1 and "m" for "1000" and "M" for "1000000".

Sometimes you also could see these sizes which is smaller:
1p = ( p = pico )
1n = ( n = nano )

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 11:39 
Project Author

Tina will convert 1000uF to 1m (lower case m)

Capacitors can be funky like that, I have two ceramics one is .01M and reads 10nF and I have a 5000M which reads 5nF or 5000 pF.

The best thing is to download Tina and play a little, it is such a time saver as you can see the output before you build the circuit. It will tell you if you have shorts or opens, also you can check what your current and voltage reading will be. There is even a wave generator and built in oscilloscope with a virtual probe.

As far as output caps 440uF will put you where you want to be, you can bypass it with a poly film 1uF (red drop or orange drop) for better frequency response. Basically solder it in parallel to the electrolytic.

Oh yeah, never a stupid question. I like this forum because a new builder can come and ask questions and there are no self sanctioned brainiacs making them feel ignorant.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 11:56 

roggom wrote:
Tina will convert 1000uF to 1m (lower case m)

I know ...i was trying to edit my answer :down:

I was writing "k" ....instead of little "m" ...sorry my mistake, but as i said i couldn't edit ( timelimited ). :bawling:

A bit irritating, i am standing in a bad light now. It looks like i don't know what i'm talking about. :mrgreen:

Maybe the forum administrator could help me, by editing "k" to "m" :?: (edits done, Gio 8 Jan 2009)

I understand if people are being confused about the little "m" vs. big "M".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next