DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 15:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: 12AU7/IRF612 update
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 08:07 
Editor

Did you notice a change in the gain when you added Ck?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 00:46 
Project Author

Most definitely, I have seen this used in many amps, but I haven't studied tubes in over 20 years. So to brush up I am redoing the US Navy NEETS module http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14178/ and it is in the first chapter of tube theory. Good stuff. I even capped the low voltage version as well. Of course this is old knowledge for you tube guys.

I had to bump up the capacitance of the inter stage cap to get a flatter response on the low end. It is noticeable on certain formats, but sure looks better on the scope.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 13:33 
Project Author

Just like a kid with a new guitar and playing smoke on the water over and over, I have another version of the same circuit. I used a 6AS7G and for now 120 B+ and 24vdc on the mosfet follower stage. Since there aren't any Tina models for this tube, I did all of the plate curves and Resistor values by hand using the plate graph and ohms law. This tube has a lower Rp so I ended up with 3k for RL and 1K for Rk. I got a magnatek VPS-12-2000 for the filament transformer (4A) because the tube is a little pig for filament current. It is still a work in progress but I am happy with how it looks so far. The base used to be pot holder with a ceramic tile in the middle, used a drywall patch kit for the metal base (fit perfectly). More pics to follow.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 19:41 
Editor

Hey Rogers, that is great work!

Can you share some details about the enclosure construction. How is the aluminum plate held in place?

Cheers

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 20:53 
Project Author

Gio,
Since this is a headamp it doesn't put out too much heat underneath. The tube is raised from the chassis by the octal receptacle. The metal is a very thin sheet of stainless steel from a drywall patch kit, similar to this. http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDe ... .DP8_4.jpg it has an adhesive side that is stuck to the fiber board (the mesh is removed). I have a hole knock out kit and made the holes for the tube, and caps and drilled the fiberboard.
Here are some more pics, under the hood and a finished one. The whole project was under $50 USD, of course it was built around the items I could find locally.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 22:39 
Project Author

I really like it Roger. Simple and nice looking. One defiant tube just announcing "you HAVE to listen to THIS!!"
Ri

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 22:46 
Editor

Is the box a picture box or did you make it using molding?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 00:54 
Project Author

I believe they are picture box's of some sort.I picked them up at a thrift. There are four pieces of 5/8" x 1 3/8" pine and some molding on top, with a 1/4" piece of fiberboard for stability. The insert used to hold a 6 x6 ceramic tile. There are no nails so I think it was some old school craft project.

I have another box that holds the main power and mosfet power supplies it stand off to the side and is connected with a din plug.

I had many choices with this project, but I wanted to make it simple and aesthetically pleasing. Novels are nice and sound great as well , but you cant beat the look of this tube type. The best part is they are still plentiful on the bay for around $5 each.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 19:38 
Editor

Yes, it is a great looking tube. These tubes are a popular choice for making Output TransformerLess (OTL) tube amps.

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 14:45 

I am planning to build the revised headphone amp and had a question about the power supply that I was going to build for it.

I was going to do a simple linear power supply (regulated with a 7812 , thanks gmilitano).
I was wondering what size caps would I need for this?

I know i can use a walwart but wanted to try building the ps my self. I am also going to try a battery out for kicks,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next