DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 14:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 08:09 

This new 8" full range driver by Tang Band seems to offer great promise as an affordable driver that's capable of true full range performance. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=264-893

Two speaker designers / builders whose other products I've heard and liked, Duke Lejune of Audiokinesis and Bob Brines of Brines Acoustics, have tested it, have good things to say about it, and are incorporating it into their product lines. According to Bob these drivers do some things better than their nearest competitor, the Fostex FE-207: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1920475

I bought some mdf last week and will begin cutting the panels for a Brines Acoustics TT-2000, a variation on the FT-2000 MLTL whose port dimensions and bsc filter specs are optimized for the Tang Band driver. Stay tuned for updates. http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/FT-2000/Main.html

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009, 12:02 
Editor

I saw that TB driver a while back and it was sold out at that time too. The drivers sure do look nice. Comparisons to the FE207E are likely not fair considering the Tangband driver is about double the cost. The Fostex FE208EΣ is about the same price of this TB unit.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'll be very interested to know how you make out.
Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009, 17:23 

Gio wrote:
Comparisons to the FE207E are likely not fair considering the Tangband driver is about double the cost. The Fostex FE208EΣ is about the same price of this TB unit.

I've heard Bob's FT2000 speakers using Fostex FE207's, and the selection of a Brines enclosure was a given for me. The 1772 is almost a drop-in replacement for the Fe207 in the FT-2000 MLTL enclosure, and its pricing makes it a logical step up from the 207, assuming its better performance justifies the added cost. The Fostex 208 is a closer price comparison, but it's 0.18 Qts makes it unsuitable for the FT/TT 2000 enclosure, so for this project it wasn't considered.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 12:07 
Editor

Bob's comments seem very positive. I really like that the driver has a much better off axis response than the Fostex drivers so I'll be interested in your impression of the drivers. So have you already got a pair of the drivers or are you waiting until they are back in stock?
Cheers

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 12:29 

Gio wrote:
So have you already got a pair of the drivers or are you waiting until they are beck in stock?

I bought a pair and had PE ship them directly to Bob so he could evaluate them in his FT-2000 enclosure and advise me on volume and port modifications needed to accommodate them in that enclosure. Now that I know how much he likes them I'm hoping he'll let them go and ship them on to me.

So, yes I have them but I haven't actually seen them. :D

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 14:27 

Received a surprise visit from Fredex a few minutes ago. The mdf panels for my Brines Acoustics TT-2000's are already cut, and I'll begin the enclosure assembly this weekend. :thumbsup: http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Sp ... 3380_CHYyL

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 12:44 
Editor

Cool, can't wait to hear your impression of these drivers.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 19:03 

I'm expecting to finish them this weekend.

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Sp ... 4716_eNZs4

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 19:35 
Editor

Awesome Fred! Is the inner plywood part of the design? I'm loving my FE206E but the quality of those TB drivers looks great!

I'm looking forward to your impressions. What are you planning for the finish?

Cheers, Gio

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 07:48 

The designer recommends cement board for damping the enclosure walls, but I didn't want to use that material so I substituted the plywood to provide some vibration damping and fill the interior volume that the cement board would normally occupy. The key is to apply a thick layer of construction adhesive and press the plywood panel gently to the mdf enclosure wall so the adhesive can act as constrained layer damping between the mdf and plywood.

Also, not shown in the picture is the Armstrong #420 sound dampening ceiling tile used to line the enclosures. Armstrong 420 is the plastic-faced fiberglass you see in suspended grid ceilings in commercial spaces. It is one of the best sound absorbing materials you can get - rigid, tightly packed fiberglass about 3/4" thick.

I plan to paint the enclosures with Rustoleum American Accents satin finish paint from a spray can. The finished speakers will look like this: http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Sp ... 3750_2NiKu