DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2018, 05:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011, 21:00 
Editor

Hi Ashkan, did you find the problem? It sounds like it could be a bad transistor or and improper bias setting on the side that is not drawing current.
Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 01:32 
Project Author

Hi Ashkan, if you have 1 ohm resistors in there then you need to see about 1-1.5V, across each for the required current. Be very careful increasing the current by slowly changing the value of the bias resistors, you can use a "dual gang pot" to get the value first and then measure it and re replace it with fixed resistors. take your time at this step as it is easy to apply to much current and blow the transistors.

-Dan

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 10:43 

Hi Dan, Hi Gio
Thanks for the reply. Dan,I read the entire topic ''Hiraga 20W class-A amplifier'' in another forum. I saw pictures of setting the bias by you. I' m sorry that I am so much ignorant :( . but I don't know which resistors are the bias resistors.could you please inform me? and could you please tell me how to set the 500R trimmer. Is it for DC offset?
Ashkan

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 19:48 
Project Author

Hi there Ashkan, its ok have read here it will help you too.

http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/hiraga1.htm
http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/hiraga2.htm
http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/hiraga3.htm

The bias resistors are the 1.8k resistors
The 500R pot is for DC offset yes.

dont connect a speaker until you have got the bias correct and the amp has been on for 2 hours with bias.
then do the DC offset adjustment.
hope this helps

-Dan

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 09:02 

Hi Dan , thanks a lot for the links .they helped so much. I will do it now.but could you tell me why the value that the schematic suggests for the bias resistors should not work at the first place ? is it because you have changed the out put transistors ? but you edited the schematic . why didn' t you put another value in there ? is the value unique for each built ?
you know when I was a teenager I could not understand why a C played by clarinet sounds B flat :D maybe something similar is going on here . thank you very much .
Ashkan

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 05:20 
Project Author

Hi Ashkan,

I think the original resistor values are to get you in the ball park with a safe level. then you adjust and tune to account for all the component differences once the amp is working ok.

And yes the transistor differences will have an effect on all this.

how is the amp going now ?

- Dan

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 11:02 

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. I am very busy right. I have to compose some music in a very short time ,then i will buy a potentiometer or two and then I will fix it hopefully.I will send a nice picture here if I could fix it. how is your amp? how old is it now? it must be a few months younger than your son.
Ashkan

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 03:36 

Hi

I've spent a bit of time with this cct and come up with this - first revision.

Am very interesting to start some 'Class A' work and understanding more about solid state - while I learn at the same time about valves/tubes, and IC based amps :)

Going through the original schematic and the board layout, many of the components that are called out in the schematic, are, not laid out on the board, so I've done my best to integrate them accordingly. Note I've not used the standard 'transistors' in Eagle in the schematic but have set the B / E / C accordingly with wirepads.

I intend to revise the above PCB layout a bit prior to etching, happy to hear folks' thoughts.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 14:27 

I want to build the 30 watt version but I need a bit more power, how would I increase the wattage output? and is it safe?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 06:05 

hello all
I would like to know if Dan can change the schematic
from non-inverting to inverting
why use the difference of the feedback
Internally never sounds good

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next