DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 13:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1385 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 139  Next
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 16:20 
Webmaster

Please feel free to ask your questions and post comments about the NP-100v12: DIY 12AU7 (ECC82) Tube / IRF510 MOSFET Headphone Amplifier project in this thread.

PROJECT LINK - NP-100v12: DIY 12AU7 (ECC82) Tube / IRF510 MOSFET Headphone Amplifier

IMPORTANT POSTS

Additional information for the NP-100v12 - 12AU7 / IRF510 HeadAmp

Finished Amplifier Photos

QUESTIONS
Before you post and ask your question, please search this thread. The search box is located at the bottom left hand corner of the page. This search box will only search this thread. In the attachment below the search box is circled in red.
Attachment:
search-the-thread.png

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 10:45 

Very nice project. It's a nice convenience that it runs at 12V (13.8 nominal?).

I wonder if there is any advantage to running the tube plate at a higher voltage?

What is the gain of this project?
I've built the Millet Max and usually keep it on my desk at work - I wonder how this project compares; I certainly have some 12AU7's in my lil' tube inventory.

Mike Y
KM5Z
Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 12:14 
Editor

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

For purpose of the NP-100v12 the 12AU7 tube will be used in a common cathode configuration, and the incoming signal will be amplified by approximately 10dB.

10dB is ~ 3 times.

Yes, you can achieve better linearity at higher voltage, but that is a completely different beast that will require a high voltage power supply.
Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 19:06 
Project Author

You can probably build this amp with the leftover parts from your millet build. I know when I order from mouser of digikey I always order extra stuff. Not sure if you have experience etching, but this project is a great way to learn.

The project is designed for those who want to get into tubes, but are either cautious with high voltage, or maybe looking for something to build after a cmoy. It makes a great amp for listening to the computer at night.

Have fun

Rogers

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 23:36 

Swell!
I came home from work and found a suitable project box and now I'm kitting it up now.
Hopefully I'll have another version of it up by this weekend.

The Millet-Max works fine, but I'm always up for testing out and playing with new projects.

I'm thinking of adding the few extra components to provide a power-on delay (20 to 30 seconds).
Would that be a useful addition?

Mike Y
roggom wrote:
You can probably build this amp with the leftover parts from your millet build. I know when I order from mouser of digikey I always order extra stuff. Not sure if you have experience etching, but this project is a great way to learn.

The project is designed for those who want to get into tubes, but are either cautious with high voltage, or maybe looking for something to build after a cmoy. It makes a great amp for listening to the computer at night.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 23:52 
Project Author

Yes, I actually have a delay circuit stuffed in mine, it is about 3 seconds and then makes the headphone contacts. It is based on AMB's E12 circuit but only for +12v not +/- 12. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1480

The schematic can be opened with expresssch http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm ... ftware.htm

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 00:00 

Exactly the one - eh, I pulled the schematic from:

http://diyforums.org/MAX/MAXe12.php

Probably can be done more simply, but I have the parts (or substitutes) and it's quite bulletproof.

Mike Y

roggom wrote:
Yes, I actually have a delay circuit stuffed in mine, it is about 3 seconds and then makes the headphone contacts. It is based on AMB's E12 circuit but only for +12v not +/- 12. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1480

The schematic can be opened with expresssch http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm ... ftware.htm

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 14:23 

Hi Forum

To the Head-fi DIY people, build this one, you'll be very pleased. :headphones: I've got ver. NP-100v12 runing ( tested ) for a while and must say i'm really satisfied with the sound. One of the important things in this amp. is the CCS. :lightbuilb:

Applaus to Mr. Gomez ...you've done it again, thanks. :thumbsup:

Thanks to both Mr. Gomez and Gio, for a very detailed presentation, good work. :up:

Instead of 12AU7, i've used 6J5GT tubes, simply because iv'e got a dusin of these. :sleep: http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2945/42637013.jpg

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 09:08 
Project Author

John,
Thanks for the kind words, your amp looks nice. I like the use of the larger tubes. It will be neat to see how many variations this project can take. I am sure it will come out wonderful

Rogers

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 20:27 

I'm pretty interested on building one. i have two questions:
1) can i power it from a regulated 24V supply?, any modifications needed?
2) How's the sound? any comparison points?

cheers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1385 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 139  Next