DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 08:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 17:43 
Project Author

Hey Dinesh,

you didn't tell me you've got 2 transformers. So you got all doors open to use every supply layout you want.
You can use the two transformers as centre tapped (sticked together in the "middle), as dual secondary transformers
or as paralleled single secondary transformer..

The "one transformer" solution was really for one single secondary transformer. Don't rape it :lildevil:.
PS - i've forgotten that you also can tap the transformer for a 2 rectifier bridge setup (same setup like on the project site).
(2 paralleled "+" rails and 2 paralleled "-" rails - one for each supply section - ground tapped on centre).

If you want to run the circuit of your 2 transformers, use the standard power supply (from the project site)
and connect the outputs "in the middle". So you'll get a dual secondary symmetrical supply..
The current is not shared between the channels and you get the full output from the trannies.

The real problem on this subject is the circumstance that there a too much possibilities...
Too many tansformer types and too many rectifier setups. The one and only good(!) solution is using a dual secondary tranny.

Dinesh, shoot me a PM before you start the build. Let's think about the best way for your transformer or transformers.
Depends on what you want to use now...

Warm greetings and have fun ;-).

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 03:04 
Project Author

Hey all,

some good news to post here.

>> The layout and a "manual" for the amplifier PCBs (DIY) is ready! <<

The package contains:
2 Layouts to print / expose PCBs on 1-1 scale (round and square pads)
Layout pictures / Gerber file
List of Material
Silkscreen (ok - better said "component placement PDFs")
Short manual with some (hopefully) useful informations.

I will re-check, upload and link the package today (late) or until Monday (late).

Please also re-check the manual / list if you have a little time.
Corrections or any suggestions or opinions are very welcome!!!

Have fun ;-).

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 03:34 

Hi Tom,

I have decided to start building your TDA chip amp. I like to have different classes of amps to listen to. Atm I have a class A 3 watts, and 100W class AB. A chip amp will be a nice addition and am building the TDA because the chips are easily available here.

For the power supply, can I use the one shown below ? It is a class A power supply meant to power the Nelson Pass F5 amplifier. It is 500VA, dual secondary (18-0), (18-0). A dual rectifier bridge is used to produce the +- 25V DC. This PS is extremely overkill !
Attachment:
Class A F5 power supply.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 07:29 
Project Author

Hey Dinesh,

sure you can use the F5 supply. But - it really is overkill and you can easily save the money for the 8 x 15000 uF.
That's way too much and it doesn't make a sense at all. The TDA has a good power supply rejection and it is not
very sensitive for picking up hum. The supply rails are also decoupled "on board".

A better choice would be the unregulated "simple" supply from the TDA2050 Project page. If you think the 10000uF
from this PS are not enough, add one 4700uF in parallel and you'll have more capacitance than the TDA will ever need...
500VA is also way too much. 120 / 160 VA are pretty much enough. Depends on what you can get..

The transformer is a dual 18VAC. (18 - 0VAC and 18 - 0VAC) with 120VA.

One (IMO) important suggestion:
Do not use 25Volt capacitors if you plan a 25VDC supply. The 25VDC capacitors don't provide any reserves or stability
if you plan to go for 25VDC. It is a bit risky because the voltage peaks or power line peaks can exceed the voltage rating of
the capacitors and they won't have a long life. Better use caps rated for 35VDC and you are on the "secure" side...

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 07:44 

Tom,

Thanks. Since I already bought the huge transformer and power supply caps etc, I might as well use that instead of buying another transformer. I am going to build that huge PS in a case which will become a universal PS to power either the Pass F5 or basically any chip amp with bipolar voltage.

The caps I used are rated at 35V. I too, find the 25V suggestion risky.

Looks like the TDA amp will be up and running very very soon!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 08:26 

Hi Tom

Have you tried the single supply ver. ? found at same site as the dual supply ver.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... mXyuqt.pdf

I've got something likely these builds ( 25-30 years old DIY ), both bridged for a dual supply ver. and a single supply ver. but with the TDA2030 instead of TDA2050. I don't know about differens in soundquality from these IC's, I know that TDA2050 gives more power, than TDA2030.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... s/1458.pdf

Maybe this info has a value, if people in this forum got som TDA2030 in stock and want to make something alike the TDA2050 build. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 09:13 

Hi Kramme,

I emailed Tom a couple of months ago regarding the use of a single supply, but he said the TDA will only work with a symmetrical dual rail power supply. After reading the data sheet again, I noticed that there is a circuit for a single suply.. :confused:

The only disadvantage of the single supply is the usage of a huge electrolytic on the speaker's output. The dual rail type does not require the cap. Either way, I think there is nothing to lose by going with the dual rail supply. Tom even provided a schematic showing how a dual rail supply can be made from a single secondary output transformer.

I hope you build this amp too !! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 11:25 
Project Author

Hey John, Hey Dinesh,

no - i didn't try the single supply version. I think, that are too many efforts to do for the single supply version.
Oh Dinesh, i don't remeber what i wrote, but i think that it was meant for my version of the TDA2050 amp.
This version surely doesn't work with a single supply. Basically it's the "dual supply version" straight from the datasheet.
Ah - yes - the 2030 is an option. The 2050 can be swapped with the 2030. The components are exactly the same but the diodes.
(Who needs this two 1N4001 and the diode noise filter caps??) The layout is also same - piece by piece.

IMO - the single supply version appears very complicated for the first timers or beginners... Too many components ;-).
Dinesh wrote:
The only disadvantage of the single supply is the usage of a huge electrolytic on the speaker's output.
That also... The dual supply version seems also more stable and much easier to build... It works damn good for me.

Oh my - I'm writing all the day and i feel sooo darn tired now..

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 16:34 

Hi Dinesh

I would like to make this simple build, but i think it will be with use of TDA2030, instead of TDA2050, because i've got those in stock. I'll have to live with lower effect, but i guess TDA2030 got the same soundquality as TDA2050. :sing:

Hi Tom

You're right, why make a build for single supply, when a dual supply version are more simple and with less parts. :up:

As i remember, the single supply versions, they were directed to the car-audience ( for stereo boosters ). Typical carradios back in the 70's, first 80's only got 2 x 6 W output, so these boosters would help to a little more efficiency.

I've got both Velleman ( dual supply ) and Jostykit ( single supply ) amplifiers with TDA2030. Actually these kits are very old, from 1980 ( i remember this year, because they were the first amplifiers i soldered together, and i've still got them :mrgreen: ).

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 18:20 
Project Author

Hello dear visitors, as promised - here are the DIY pcb layouts for the TDA2050 amplifier project.

The complete "List of Materials" is not ready yet, but i will upload it tomorrow.
A small list is on the short manual. I hope you will find the informations useful.
If not - please feel free to post your comments or suggestions.
It's no problem to add or change something...

Attachment:
TDA2050_BRD_Square.pdf
Attachment:
TDA2050_BRD_Round.pdf
Attachment:
TDA2050_BRD_Components.pdf
Attachment:
TDA2050_Board_Photoview.pdf
Attachment:
TDA2050 Board short Manual.pdf

>>> The Terminal connections are described on the short manual and on the "List of Components" <<<

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Last edited by tombethe on 20 Sep 2010, 18:50, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next