DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 13:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 18:04 

Have you actually tried this scheme??

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 11:10 
Project Author

Hi there,

sorry - i haven't been in for a while...

Which scheme did you mean :?.

The TDA schematics are "up to date" and OK.
Only an important change on the power supply was done a few weeks ago.

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 17:10 

I'm sorry Tom, you answered my question in the later posts which weren't available when I made the comment. I was concerned about the grounding scheme in the initial posts.
Beautiful work!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 13:22 

hi what type of capacitor are 0.1uf mkp on the DIY Chip Amplifier Power Supply :confused:

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 21:58 
Editor

MKP = Metalized polypropylene capacitor

Any film type capacitor will be fine there.
Cheers

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 10:35 
Project Author

Hi,

yep - MKP capacitors are metalized film capacitors. MKS / MKT types are similar caps and work the same way. They are non electrolytic types and available nearly everywhere. This caps are used to support the
electrolytic tank / filter caps. This setup eliminates more ripple current and noise than a single electrolytic cap.

An example webpage with MKP / MKT / MKS (Mouser): Metalized film capacitors at mouser.com

I hope that was a little help ;-).
Have fun!

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 03:09 

hi evry1 this is faraz from Lahore, Pakistan. i hve just joined this forum.
How are you Tom, hope will b fine.
Last week end i tried to build the diy tda2050 hi-fi chip amplifier project. i have 15-0-15 VAC transformer with 4 amps, is it ok ---please help ?

how much of current or how many amps a single chip (tda2050) needs to operate at its the best at 8 ohm speaker load ...please help?

B happy, Regards.
Faraz
Pakistan

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 09:16 

Hey Faraz,

What is your transformer rating (VA) ?
Tom specifies 3.3A per channel, so a total of 6.6A is needed for a single transformer.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 11:34 
Project Author

Hey Faraz, Hi Dinesh,

welcome to this nice forum Faraz.

Your transformer will surely work ;-). But on one thing you have to take care. You've posted that you own a 15-0-15 VAC transformer.
This 15-0-15 VAC description is usually used for "centre tapped" transformers. If you want to use the centre tapped xformer, you MUST change the rectifier setup (this subject is highly recommended). The other components are used as shown on the power supply schematic.

On page 3 of this diy tda2050 chip amp project Support Thread you can take a look onto the setup for centre tapped transformers. Please take yourself a minute or two. You'll find all answers you need: Rectifier setup for Dual Secondary and Center-tapped (CT) transformers.

The transformer rating for 15 VAC CT @ 4 Amperes is OK. (I would say that 1,6 Amperes per rail should be the minimum). Running the amplifier at 21 VDC (after rectification) will provide you with the output power of 20W into 8 ohms per channel @ max. 0,5% distortions. You'll never hear the 0,5% because i think you'll never use THIS 20 Watts ;-).

Please take a look on the power output graph: TDA2050 - Power Output vs Supply Voltage Graph.
The current is relative on this subject. As said before, 1,6A per rail is my minimum and it runs very stable. This current rating is chosen, to keep the capacitors charged. I've chosen 2 x 18VAC @ 120VA (6,6A) to get the available output power of the chip. 3,3A @ 25VDC is relative the same like 2A @ 21VDC. The voltage makes the output power...
21VDC is (in my opinion) more than enough for use at home.

I hope that makes sense and was a little help ;-).

Cya.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 12:42 

Tom,
Thanks for clearing that up. I will be building this amp soon with two 60VA transformers. Power supply will be a symmetrical one for use with single secondary output transformers. Attached are the schematics Tom sent me before.
Attachment:
Symmetrical power supply for use with single secondary transformer.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Some of my diy audio projects:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next