DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 01:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:21 

A solution was finally found, but I don't understand why this should be a solution. The amplifier only operates correctly on both channels if one amplifier is connected to + and - potential and the other amplifier is only connected to + potential. The two boards are completely separate from one another, so I don't see why this should be... but that's how it is. In this configuration, the sound and performance is quite beautiful. On to build a case.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 20:38 

Hi Tom and everyone, Im new here. I have just built my first diy amp, that is one based on Tom's TDA2050 amp. I am very happy it turned out great and sounds great too, it is now in the testing stage. Thanks, Tom. :D

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 22:55 
Editor

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you are enjoying the amp. Feel free to post a photo of your amp build.

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 14:39 

So recently i completed my first build (2x TDA2050 single power supply version).
Here is a link to my build: http://enginesofcreation.nl/blog/

For my next project i want to build the split supply version. I have a question regarding the PSU unit, hoping that someone can awnser it.
Why does it use 8x diode (MUR860), and not for example 2x bridge rectifier (GBU805)?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 09:45 
Editor

HI Alex, welcome to the forum. Bridge rectifiers will work fine too. The MUR860 are very high quality ultrafast diodes and some prefer to use this arrangement over a bridge as it can provide improved performance.

Very nice build and enjoy the amp.
Cheers

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 12:55 

Hi Gio,

Thanks for your reply.
Do you think using bridges instead of MUR860 will effect the audio quality of the amps?
Also, can you tell me if some kind of heatsink is neccesary for the diodes / brigde?

Much appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 16 May 2013, 21:33 
Editor

The bridges do not require a heatsink.

IMO - the sonic difference is subtle. If I am using premium parts in the amp circuit and power supply, my preference is to use fast recovery types. Otherwise I use what is on hand.

Cheers

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 17:44 

Hey everyone,
I'm building my first amp with the TDA2050 - almost exactly following schematics on the project page.
I have a question about the toroidal transformer I purchased. It's a 160VA with 18VAC secondary output (Triad VPT36-4440).
However, the VPT36-4440 data sheet said the output windings should be connected in serial or parallel and are not intended to be used separately. The power supply design for this project requires that the secondary windings are used separately (two separate rectifier bridges for +ve and -ve). Why wouldn't they be able to be used separately? Would having them connected in parallel with the PS schematic really screw things up?

The data sheet can be found here.

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 11:29 

Okay after some searching on the forums I found a reply by Tom to someone on another thread who also purchased a Triad transformer and confirms this is not really a dual secondary but rather a CT transformer (when connected in series). The link to this thread and Tom's reply is here.

Therefore, I'll connect the secondary windings in series and use it as a centre tapped (CT) supply - connecting the red and orange wires to ground and having only a single rectifier bridge as suggested in Tom's other post on rectifying toroidal transformers here.

So my follow up question is: What is the advantage of using two secondary windings (not centre-tapped) compared to a CT toroidal transformer? Would it actually affect the sound quality or performance of the amp?

Also, is it OK to use four MUR860 diodes for the single CT rectifier bridge?

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 20:43 
Editor

Hi chizzler

I find that four MUR860 provide better performance than a bridge. I also find that dual secondaries and dual rectifiers provide a higher performance power supply but the net audio is small as the chips have good noise rejection.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 42  Next