DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 14:43 

Hi,
Im new here and don't speak english well. But if I want to use transformer 18-0-18VAC. Do I need new MKP caps and resistors or the values remain same?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 17:38 
Project Author

Hi vest,

welcome to the forum - and - don't worry about your english.

You can use all the capacitor and resistor values as shown on the project site (same like on the "ST" TDA 2050 datasheet).
There are no different values for use with different power supply voltages. Please keep in mind that you have to
use an other rectifier setup (single bridge rectifier) for your centre tapped transformer (18-0-18VAC).

Have fun and feel free to post your questions!

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 18:10 
Project Author

Sixtyfive,

the TDA2003 can not hold it against an LM3875, LM3886 or the "smaller" LM1875 and TDA2050.
It is more designed for use with 12V car audio apps and not very "audiophile".

The LM1875 or TDA2030 / 2050 single supply version could be worth a try but i'm not very sure about the
output power. The estimated output power with a 12VDC dual supply is something around 10Watts p.c.
(which is surely enough for bookshelf speakers). With a single supply, the output power can be a bit
different, depending on the current (where a pc smps has enough from).

The test setups shown on the datasheets are used for nearly all kind of amplifiers with ICs.
It can't go wrong if you follow the suggested setups. Mostly all the circuits from the datasheets
are used for the gainclones and power opamps and they work great. The values stay the same with
any variations of power supplies.

Have fun!

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 00:52 

If I use transformer like on this page: https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~ee_et/elfa/in ... &toc=18841 . Then I have to use power supply with 2 bridge rectifiers?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 10:04 

Or which transformer I need, when I want to use 2 bridge rectifiers?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 11:11 

Hi Vest,

You will need a dual secondary transformer.
I used a (18-0, 18-0) 500W dual secondary power transformer for my TDA 2050 chipamp.
This will produce 25V DC after rectification and is the absolute maximum allowable voltage. Do not exceed this or the chip may blow.

A 120W dual secondary transformer would be ok for a 2 channel TDA 2050 amp.
Consider a 200W transformer for slightly higher performance.
Some would go for a small transformer and use higher capacitance for the PS but the opposite has worked better for me. (large transformer and minimal capacitance (10,000uF per channel)

Hey Sixtyfive,

I would recommend both the TDA2050 and LM385 readily. From feint memory, the LM3875 chiamps are brighter sounding with more authoratative bass while the TDA2050 is smoother and has astonishing imaging ability. Also, try to use a standard toriodal or EI transformer instead of the PC supply. Add in some beefy power supply capacitors and you have a very decent sounding amp. The key to a good amp is in the power supply. SMPS or computer supplies just don't cut it.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 12:29 

dtsup1 wrote:
I would recommend both the TDA2050 and LM385 readily. From feint memory, the LM3875 chiamps are brighter sounding with more authoratative bass while the TDA2050 is smoother and has astonishing imaging ability. Also, try to use a standard toriodal or EI transformer instead of the PC supply. Add in some beefy power supply capacitors and you have a very decent sounding amp. The key to a good amp is in the power supply. SMPS or computer supplies just don't cut it.

Hey dtsup, thanks for your reply! - According to the article linked above (http://www.decdun.me.uk/gainclonesmps.html), at least one guy seems to have made quite good experiences with SMPSs. To me, without having tried yet, it makes sense the an SMPS is not a good choice. However, the whole point of the project I have in mind is to built an HTPC with a built-in amp and sockets to connect the speakers. I'd just like to try and see if it's possible. The problem is that the casing I have in mind (Silverstone Grandia GD05 (http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... p?pno=GD05) definitely won't allow for an extra PSU, internal space wise...

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 14:28 

Im planning to use 10000uF caps. Im not buying ready made transformer, one person will make that for me. Should I ask him to make 17-0-17 VAC 200W transformer or 18-0-18 VAC 200W would be better? At 17V THD is smaller?
Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 15:02 

vest wrote:
Should I ask him to make 17-0-17 VAC 200W transformer or 18-0-18 VAC 200W

Hi,
I would use a lower voltage for driving 4 or 8 Ohm speakers. 15-0, 15-0 dual secondary 200W.
Perhaps Tom can answer better.

I have not used my chip amp in a long time as I fear that the voltage is too high (25V DC).
Need to get a lower voltage trans.

What speakers are you using ?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 15:17 

sixtyfive wrote:
The problem is that the casing I have in mind (Silverstone Grandia GD05 (http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... p?pno=GD05) definitely won't allow for an extra PSU, internal space wise...

Hi,
It would also depend what PC hardware you plan on installing.
A standard 160VA 2X15V toroidal transformer is only 42mm high and 105mm in diameter.
Take a look here.

Btw nice cool looking case. With those large efficient fans, you can use a tiny heatsink and never have thermal problems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next