DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 23:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 05:56 

I took the challenge a month ago. Sounded quite qood. First tweak i did, i put away the first WIMAs caps in signal input. I can't real tell if the usage of NE5532 is only buffer or a gain stage of 2 or 3. Sounded a little louder with the same input signal than my ex LM3886 GC (without any other input stage). If ihave the time, I will try to trace the board, see what value is the NE5532 feedback resistor and tell what the gain really is.in

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 08:36 
Project Author

Hi aros3,

this is really a nice build and a fine enclosure... Good job :up:

Do you also have some shots from the inside??

And - maybe you could help us a little bit. We have a thread here about a LM3886 and NE5532 based board from the "bay" that must be
connected to a 24-0-24 transformer. The problem is, that the connections from the board are not marked or described on the top. I have only
an idea about the connections, but not very accurate informations to it. Maybe you know the boards or you got the same boards??

The thread: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=994

Thanks a lot and welcome to the forum ;-)

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 12:35 
Editor

Hi aroS3,
Looks good. Can you post a photo of the inside or the PCB? With the Wima caps it sounds similar to the eBay modules that Tom referenced.
Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 13:01 

Hi mates,
Connections marks are on the bottom side of the board, at least on mine. I 'll took internals photos as soon as i return from short holidays.
Regards George

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 13:05 

Hi Guys,
little bit late but anyhow so those TO-220 ic's are 1: 7812 and 1: 7912 regulator.
just got myself a pcb of this amp without components thou i trust myself more in choice in quality.

Regards
Kjell.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 22:23 

I also bought this preamp from eBay. Did anyone figure out the connections? Or have a, un, schematic?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 13:41 
Project Author

Hi Dclapp and welcome to the Forum.

Yes - I can remember this threads...
The OP wrote that the connections are printed on the solder side (back side) of the boards, directly at the terminals.

AFAIK there are no valid schematics available.

The only hint i can give you is to use the google picture search for "2 x 68W Watt LM3886 + NE5532".
Some layouts for the LM1875 are on the web (hifidiy). IMO - they should be very close to the 2xLM3886 circuit.
The cicuitry of the output stages could be a copy from National's Appnote 1192 with slightly reduced gain.
But, this lines above are just speculations!!

My LM3886 amp is now driven by a DIY "B1" frontend (since 2 weeks). It relly seems to be good improvement.

I would suggest to use a Burr-Brown OPA 2134 instead of the NE5532. Sonically it's way better. Just my :2c:.

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.